Labels

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Seared Scallops and Pork Belly with Honey, Soy and Ginger Reduction

Whenever my husband and I go to a restaurant and find this dish on the menu, it is ALWAYS ordered. We love it! Alas there was a day that I was really craving this but we couldn't go to a restaurant. So I thought bugger it, I'm going to try cooking it! With advance preparation, this dish was rather simple to make and at a fraction of the cost at that the restaurants charge us per dish, you can make extra without hurting the purse. 


Serves 4 
Ingredients
500g pork belly, skin off
12 scallops
250mL light soy sauce
2 tablespoon clear honey
25g ginger
light olive oil


1. Roast pork belly in a low temperature oven (120-140⁰C) for 3 hours. Take out and cool, then cut into block pieces.


2. Add soy, honey and grated ginger together in a saucepan, bring to the boil and pass through a fine sieve and allow to cool at room temperature. 


3. Heat a large non-stick pan and add a little light olive oil. Season pork on all sides and fry until coloured on all sides. Take out and place on a paper towel.


4. Season the scallops and put into the same frying pan. You only need to sear the scallops on both sides (so no need to overcook). Then take out and place on a paper towel.


5. Arrange pork belly and scallops on a plate and drizzle with reduction.




Notes and Variations
So simple and yet such a joy to eat. For ease, I did step one 24 hours before I planned to serve this and by doing so it made the dish less stressful to make. After completing step one, I put it in the refrigerator until I was ready to fry it up as per step 3. I think this recipe will also go well with a citrus salad, to add a bit of pizzazz. 

** Original recipe from The West Australian Life and Style Recipe: Seared Scallop & Pork Belly **

No comments:

Post a Comment