Labels

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Quickie Quiche

This recipe was made by request from my husband who loves quiche. Now the only experience I've had with eating quiche are those frozen party quiches. I've never tasted a fresh quiche, let alone made one, so this was going to be quite the experience for me. Going through a few quiche recipes, I opted for the pastry-less version because I often find I don't have such an item in my freezer. I think this would be great for those nights when you really can't be bothered making dinner, yet you also don't want to settle for greasy take-away that you know you're going to regret later. So this is my Quickie Quiche recipe, which is so easy that the kids could probably make it too!



Serves 6 | 45 minutes
Ingredients
4 eggs
125g grated cheese
125g chopped bacon
100g sliced mushrooms
1 onion, finely chopped
½ cup self raising flour
1½ cups milk
1 tablespoon parsley
Spray of olive oil

1. Preheat your oven to 180°C and line your tray (quiche, baking or cake) with grease or baking paper. Dice your onions and slice your mushrooms.


2. On medium heat, fry up your onions and bacon until reasonably cooked. Then add mushrooms.


3. When mushrooms are semi-cooked, transfer the onions, bacon and mushrooms into a bowl.


4. Add the remaining ingredients into the bowl and mix through. Once thoroughly mixed through, transfer onto your baking dish.


5. Place into your oven to cook for approximately 30 minutes or until set. The top of the quiche should be lightly golden at the top. Let it to slightly cool and serve.


Notes and Variations
What I love about this recipe is its versatility; remove the ham to make it a lovely vegetarian dish, or add more vegetables for more content. You could also pour this mixture into greased muffin tins to create 'baby quiches' for parties or purely for defining serving size. See what I mean about the versatility? 
Finally quiche can be enjoyed warm or cold but remember because of the egg and milk ingredients, I tend to make sure its eaten within 24 hours of making (I know I'm a bit narky about these things) but with my son having now discovered the joy of quiche, I don't think I'll be having much difficulty ensuring it gets eaten. 

No comments:

Post a Comment