Labels

Monday, March 5, 2012

Simple Banoffee Pie

I went to work one day and told my colleagues about the dilemma I was facing - I had some over-riped bananas and I didn't quite know what to do with them. I know I've posted a few banana-based recipes on my blog but I wanted to try something different. One of my colleagues suggested I try Banoffee Pie.
I did a quick Google search and found Taste Australia's recipe to be quick and simple. I knocked this up one work night to bring to work for my colleagues to try. I was nervous because not only had I not seen or know of this type of pie, I didn't even know what it was meant to taste like! When my husband and I tasted it, it was delicious but we weren't entirely sure whether what we were tasting was right. To my relief, my colleagues loved it and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this recipe was!



Serves 12 | 20 minutes + chilling time
Ingredients
2x packets of Coles sweet shortcrust base (six to a packet)
1x 395g sweetened condensed milk
70g brown sugar
50g butter
Bananas
Thickened Cream for Dolloping

1. Place the pre-made shortcrust bases onto a baking tray and warm up in the oven for approximately 5 to 10 minutes on low heat. Remove from the oven and let it sit in the fridge until needed.

2. Over low heat, combine the sweet condensed milk, sugar and butter in a saucepan. Cook, stirring continuously until you get a nice, thick consistency. Be sure not to boil the caramel while mixing.

3. Once you get that thick consistency, pour the hot caramel evenly among all the bases. Place the caramel tarts into the fridge, covered with plastic wrap, to chill and set the caramel.


4. Once the caramel has been set, peel and thinly slice bananas to place on the top.



5. Top the pies up with a generous dollop of thickened cream and serve immediately to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment